The Restoration of St. Peter's Church in 1856

4 - Later Improvements


The East end and chancel were altered again in the later 1890s. This photo of the interior of the church in 1880 shows a number of differences between then and now. One is that the pulpit was turned shortly before 1880 to allow access by a flight of external steps. The Rector of the time, the Revd Thomas Wenham Knipe, was Ďa divine of somewhat stately proportionsí and was too generously rounded to use the steps through the pillar. Also, recent work on the altar rails (to treat them for death watch beetle) uncovered some tiles in the Sanctuary. These Minton Encaustic tiles in the Sanctuary formed part of the original refurbishment.
 
 


PreviousNext